Quote of the week
They made the machines. That’s what I’m trying to tell you. Meat made the machines.
Articles of the week
- Terry Bisson: They’re Made out of Meat
An amusing and thought-provoking text recounting a dialogue between aliens observing human life.
- Forecast.io: The Forecast Data API
Forecast is a new weather service in the form of a web app. On the iPhone it’s cleverly disguised as an ordinary app, and has a great, simple interface. This post introduces Forecast’s API, which is designed to be easier to use and far more accurate than alternatives.
- The Guardian: Shane Smith: ‘I want to build the next CNN with Vice – it’s within my grasp’
A piece on how Vice’s “brand of gonzo journalism” operates, its co-founder Shane Smith, and where Vice Media is headed.
- Brett Terpstra: The first apps on my new Mac
On the essential tools to install on a Mac, and how to make the configuration process easier.
- Ars Technica: How I became a password cracker
Nate Anderson taught himself over the course of a day to crack passwords, and came away “with a visceral sense of password fragility.”